Wood science & Technology Lab
Wood Science and Technology Laboratory is attached to Wood Science and Technology
Division and it is the only one of its sort with R & D orientation in Wood
Science and Technology in the state. The laboratory was established in1980 and
has facilities for Wood Preservation, Wood Seasoning, Wood Anatomy and Timber
Identification, Wood Quality Assessments, Wood Utilization, Bamboo and Rattan
Processing, Bamboo House, Rubber wood processing, Charcoal and Activated Carbon,
etc. The lab is equipped with Sledge Microtome, Leica Image Analysis system, Olympus Dual-view Microscope, Nikon Trinolcular Polarized and Fluorescence microscope, Universal Testing Machine, FT-NIR spectroscopy, UV-VIS Spectrophotometer, Refrigerated Centrifuge, Automated Soxtec Extraction System, Homogenizer etc.
The Wood Science and Technology Lab has facilities for:
- Determination of Anatomical Properties of Wood & Timber Identification –
Equipped with Sledge Microtome, Leica Image Analysis system, Olympus Dual-view
Microscope, Nikon Trinolcular Polarized and Fluorescence microscope.
- Determination of Physical Properties of Wood – Equipped with facilities
for determination of wood moisture content, density and shrinkage.
- Determination of Chemical Properties of Wood - Equipped with general facilities
for wet chemical analysis of wood, grinding/powdering mills, pulverizer, homogenizer,
Refrigerated Centrifuge, Automated Soxtec Extraction System, UV-VIS Spectrophotometer,
FT-NIR spectroscope, etc.
- Determination of Mechanical Properties of wood – Universal Testing Machine
- Preservative Treatment of Wood – Facility foe diffusion and pressure treatment
studies – Equipped with ASCU VPI pilot Plant
- Seasoning of Wood – Equipped with ASCU Dry Kiln pilot plant
- Processing and Utilization (Structural & Non-Structural) of Bamboo & Cane
– Facilities for anatomical, physical, chemical and mechanical properties
of bamboo & cane, Preservative treatment for bamboo & cane, Oil Curing
of Cane, Bamboo Housing Demonstration materials.
Laboratory is accessible to the Ph. D students and M. Sc. Attachments of the KFRI
The facility offers consultancy & guidance on preparation of DPR for setting
up of wood, bamboo and cane based industries, Testing and Certification of timber
treatment and wood quality, etc. on per sample payment or consultancy project
basis. Test Reports or Certificates on Timber species and wood properties will
be provided. The present testing charges are as follows:
- Wood identification: Rs. 4000/- per sample
- Moisture content determination: Rs. 2400/- per sample
- Sp. Gravity/ Density: Rs. 2400/- per sample
- Chemical Preservative detection test : Rs.2400/-
- Bending test: Rs. 4000/- per set (2 samples)
- Compression parallel to grain: Rs. 4000/- per set (2 samples)
Note: GST @18% is also payable along with testing fee
KFRI GST Number : 32AAATK6446J6ZG
Request to Director, KFRI by paying fee in cash on all working days or by Demand Draft drawn in favour of The Registrar, KFRI, payable at Thrissur or through wire transfer.
Click here for Our account details
Contact: Wood Science and Technology
Kerala Forest Research Institute
Peechi P.O, Thrissur District, Kerala - 680653, India.