Sustainable Forest Management � Silviculture
Silviculture occupies a pivotal position in forestry and afforestation programmes. Silviculture is an applied science of forestry which concern with various treatments of forest stands that may be applied to maintain an enhanced productivity. At KFRI Silviculture Department often forms the link between theory and practice by focusing on:
- Techniques of afforestation
- Management of plantations
- Raising of nurseries
- Establishment of live collections.
A live collection of 63 species of bamboos native to India is maintained by the department and Information on clump development, culm production and growth parameters are monitored here. The collection of Sympodial bamboos will help in choosing bamboo species suitable for various agro-climatic zones and to gather valuable scientific information on bamboo growth besides serving as germplasm for future crop improvement programmes.
Ongoing Research Projects
- Demographic Survey and Restoration of two Endangered variants of ‘Daruharidra’, Berberis tinctoria Lesch. and Coscinium fenestratum (Gaertn.) Colebr. in Western Ghats.
- Development of nanocomposite organic manure from weed compost
Contact: Dr. P Sujanapal
Kerala Forest Research Institute
Peechi 680653, Thrissur, Kerala, INDIA